CIKM 2008 - Napa Valley Information
October in the Napa Valley is perhaps the most beautiful time of year. The vibrant colors of the changing grape vines are breathtaking.
In the town of Napa, the average high is 76° F (24°C), and the average low temperature is 48° F (9°C). The average rainfall for October is 1.7 inches (4.3 cm).
Temperatures and rainfall in Yountville and Oakville, several miles north of Napa, would be roughly the same as in Napa.
Napa Valley recreational opportunities abound. Whether you are interested in the most athletic of activities or your pursuits are more leisurely, there is plenty to be found in Napa County. Bring your camera! Napa is also less than an hour from the city of San Francisco where an incredible number of attractions of all kinds are to be found. Lake Tahoe is just 2 hours away and the Pacific Coast is just 1 hour away (e.g., the beautiful national reserve at Point Reyes).
More information can be found on the following web sites:http://www.napavalley.com/ http://www.napanow.com/ Napa Valley Wineries
Several hundred world-famous wineries call Napa home and many are open to the public (some by appointment only, others not at all). You can find several wineries at which to explore and learn about wine - from large, world-famous wine-education focus to small, family-owned hands-on wineries.
Calistoga is Napa Valley's northern-most hamlet. It is typically one of the warmest spots in the valley and it is located at the Valley's narrow tip. It is a great little walking town and makes a nice day-stop, or a quiet overnight destination. Calistoga is approximately a 40-minute plus drive from Napa from the Silverado Trail, or Highway 29.
A Few Area Wineries
- Wineries of Napa Valley (3 miles from the Marriott)
This tasting room showcases five local wineries, and offers weekly seminars and wine-focused events.
- Seduction Wine (3 miles)
This romantic winery only offers tours to small groups or couples. A perfect place to bring that special someone.
- Trefethen Vineyards (3 miles)
One of the oldest wineries in the region, Trefethen is proud to produce an extensive collection of premier estate wines.
- A small family winery, Truchard was recently named one of the Top Estate Wineries by Wine & Spirits Magazine. Tours available by appointment only.
- Famous for its sparkling wines, Chardonnays, and Pinot Noirs, the Carneros Region is home to Artesa Vineyards, Bouchaine Vineyards, and Domaine Carneros.
- This unique winery houses an impressive art collection, with works by Francis Bacon, Anselm Keifer, and more.
- Voted "Winery of the Year" in 2005 by the California Travel Industry Association, Domaine Chandon is best known for its exquisite sparkling wines. Try the new Chandon Rosé!
- Visit this winery's French-style chateau tasting room, and sample sparkling wine made exclusively from Carneros grapes.
- With vineyards in Napa's five different districts, Pine Ridge is uniquely positioned to fully capture the area's delicious variety of flavors. Visit the facility's subterranean Cabernet Cave for barrel-to-bottle tastings, or attend a Sunday seminar on food and wine pairings.
- From the welcoming atmosphere of its tasting room to its affordable, "food-friendly" wines, Goosecross Cellars is committed to providing customers with a truly enjoyable experience.
- Located in the heart of the Stags Leap District, this vineyard produces distinctive Cabernets and Merlots.
- Visit this intimate winery to sample a rich selection of wines - some available only at the property itself.
- The oldest, continuously operating winery in Napa, Beringer has today become a household name, and is renowned for its sophisticated vintages.
- The only distillery in Napa, Charbay has consistently produced exquisite, hand-crafted wines, spirits, and liqueurs since 1983.
- This estate winery produces over 63,000 cases of wine each year - all made from grapes harvested entirely by hand.
- This well-known winery boasts an aerial tram ride, so that you can view the beauty of Napa from above.
- Established in 1999, this small, family-owned winery produces hand-crafted wines in the cellar beneath the family's home.
Apart from the numerous wineries listed above, popular recreational opportunities for your Napa Valley travel include hot-air ballooning, horseback riding, winery tours, nearby golf, and shopping. Other classic attractions include (from the Marriott's website):
Shopping & Recreation
- Napa Premium Outlets (3 miles)
Find incredible discounts on your favorite brand-name retailers, including Dansk, Timberland, Ellen Tracy, and Kenneth Cole. The popular Vineyard Outlet also features discounted local, national, and imported wines.
- Oxbow Public Market (3 miles)
Whether you are rushing home for dinner or looking for that relaxing glass of wine, Oxbow Public Market is the place to "Buy Fresh/BuyLocal."
- Infineon Raceway (18 miles)
Experience the thrill of NASCAR racing, or witness the heart-pounding excitement of a Superbike Showdown!
- Six Flags Marine World (20 miles)
With thrilling rides and a world-class animal park, Six Flags is the perfect spot for a family day trip.
- Culinary Institute of America, Become inspired by Napa Valley's legendary vineyards, expert chefs, and bountiful regional ingredients. At this renowned institute, a passionate panel of professionals provides an array of epicurean adventures for lovers of the culinary arts.
- The Center for Wine, Food and the Arts (COPIA), Explore the valley's limitless array of culinary programs, exhibits, organic gardens, and more at COPIA. The center brings together the general public and enthusiasts in an unforgettable celebration of food, including a full calendar of culinary events.
- Cooking With Julie, Embark on cooking classes, tours, and events designed to celebrate and reflect an appreciation for the bountiful seasonal display of food throughout the Napa Valley. Personalized instruction from Julie and guest chefs will help extend your culinary knowledge and expertise.
Some Restaurants in Napa
(* - *** Michelin Star Restaurants 1-3 stars)
- Bistro Don Giovanni (2 miles from the hotel) - Indulge in an Italian and Country French flavor at this tantalizing restaurant boasting a traditional wood-burning fireplace and outdoor terraces.
- Bay Leaf Restaurant (3 miles) - A beautiful rose garden and walkway greet you to this exclusive restaurant, where you can dine on fine American and French cuisine.
- Celadon (3 miles) - This award-winning fine dining establishment will treat you to a seasonally influenced menu inspired by Mediterranean, Asian, and American flavors in historic Napa Mill.
- Cole's Chop House (3 miles) - Feast on classic American steaks in the heart of downtown Napa, including dry aged prime steaks, Certified Angus Beef, fresh seafood, and more.
- Cuvee (3 miles) - Indulge in fine wines and savor contemporary Creole-Continental cuisine combined with flavors inspired by French and Spanish ingredients at this legendary setting.
- Fume (2 miles) - Visit this seasonally inspired American bistro and relax in a warm, friendly environment in the heart of Napa. Enjoy patio dining, a full bar, and great food.
- Sushi Mambo (3 miles) - Enjoy traditional and gourmet style sushi at this popular Japanese restaurant in Napa and sample a variety of Japanese beer, wine, and sake.
- Brix (9 miles) - This restaurant and wine shop is framed by the gorgeous
hills of Napa offering a panoramic view of the restaurant's olive
groves and beyond.
Etoile (8 miles) - Wine, dine, and lounge at this exquisite restaurant
epitomizing the very best that wine country dining has to offer.
French Laundry *** (8 miles) - Three Michelin stars, ranked one of the best in the world: indulge in contemporary American cuisine with
a French twist at this rustic two-story stone house restaurant. Note that there is a a month waiting list, so reserve early.
Mustards (9 miles) - Visit Mustards Grill, a cozy country grill
surrounded by vineyards and boasting a warmth and friendliness
unmatched in the surrounding area.
Redd (9 miles) - Savor creative cuisine in an inviting, warm atmosphere,
featuring thoughtfully chosen wines, welcoming surroundings, and
- Auberge du Soleil * (12
miles) - This great wine country establishment boasts an award-winning
menu and wine list and cuisine that reflects the natural diversity of
the Napa Valley.
- La Toque * (12 miles) - Indulge in outstanding cuisine
surrounded by the breathtaking beauty of wine country at Chef Ken
Frank's Napa Valley restaurant.
Rutherford Grill (12 miles) - Enjoy great food in a casual, comfortable
setting, including friendly service and reasonable prices.
- Go Fish (15 miles) - Enjoy
a visit to this classic West coast fish restaurant in St. Helena,
complete with a San Francisco inspired raw bar.
- Martini House (16
miles) - Savor Napa cuisine, the best loved foods of the wine country,
and a wine program from regions across the world when you stop by the
Press (15 miles) - This favorite spot for musicians, performers, and
locals boasts good food, good fun, good drink, and good music - all
under one roof.
- Terra * (15 miles) - Sample an award-winning wine list and eclectic New
American fare, inspired by European country food with an Asian twist.
Tra Vigne (15 miles) - Welcome to Tra Vigne for the quintessential wine
country experience, including a classic neo-Italian dining room and
- Brannan's Grill (22 miles)
- This critically acclaimed restaurant includes an award-winning wine
list with rare selections, a fine dining menu, and private vineyard
- Café Sarifornia (22 miles) - Indulge in an unforgettable dining
experience at Café Sarifornia in Calistoga and enjoy a rare treat.
Hydro Bar and Grill (22 miles) - This inviting restaurant is a great
place for lunch and boasts live music on weekends in a warm, friendly
Wappo Bar and Bistro (22 miles) - Wappo boasts an unforgettable menu with
an impressive wine list, great atmosphere, and convenient location.
Galleries, Museums, & Theaters
- Lincoln Theater (1 mile)
After an extensive renovation, the Lincoln Theater has become Napa Valley's premier performance space, with state-of-the-art technology, unsurpassed acoustics, and superior spectator comfort.
- Napa Valley Symphony (1 mile)
Based in the Lincoln Theater, this full symphony orchestra is Napa Valley's oldest and largest non-profit performing arts organization.
- Carolyn Parr Nature Museum (2 miles)
Located within Westwood Hills Park, this nature center showcases Napa's five different habitats, and has a special, hands-on area for children as well.
- Napa County Historical Society (3 miles)
Boasting an extensive collection of primary resources from the area's past.
- Napa Valley Opera House (3 miles)
Since reopening in 2002 after 88 years of being dark, the dramatically refurbished Opera House is a popular spot for comedy shows and musical performances.
- Napa Valley Museum (7 miles)
The Napa Valley Museum is dedicated to promoting the cultural and environmental heritage of the Napa Valley, from fine arts to history to natural science.
- The di Rosa Preserve (7 miles)
Experience the best of art and nature at the incredible di Rosa Preserve! Set in the midst of rolling vineyards, this scenic area features three art galleries, an outdoor sculpture garden, and a 35-acre lake.
Parks & Nature
- Napa River (From Mt. St. Helena to San Pablo Bay)
With designated hiking trails and boat launch sites, this 50 mile long river is a wonderful spot for viewing wildlife, or for simply enjoying the area's tranquil beauty.
- Westwood Hills Park (2 miles)
Highlighted by lovely oak groves and gorgeous Valley views, this beautiful park offers three miles of trails and a charming picnic area.
- Tulocay Cemetery (4 miles)
Established in 1859, this historical cemetery is today considered to be one of Northern California's most beautiful final resting places.
- John F. Kennedy Memorial Park (6 miles)
This 350-acre public park is home to softball and soccer fields, picnic areas, volleyball courts, a playground, hiking areas, and the 18-hole Napa Golf Course.
- Skyline Wilderness Park (6 miles)
Completely operated by volunteers, this 850-acre park boasts over 25 miles of hiking, biking, and equestrian trails. A wonderful spot for wildlife viewing.
- Lake Hennessey (12 miles)
Thanks to restrictions on motorboats, Lake Hennessey offers a peaceful retreat for fishing enthusiasts.
- Bothe Napa Valley State Park (20 miles)
This 2,000 acre park offers hiking trails, campgrounds, and a unique Native American Plant Garden.
- Suisun Bay (22 miles)
The largest marshland in California, Suisun Bay is home to over 80 anchored U.S. Navy ships.
- San Pablo Bay (25 miles)
This tranquil wildlife refuge is home to endangered species such as the California clapper rail, San Pablo song sparrow, and Suisun shrew.
- Lake Berryessa (26 miles)
With nearly 170 miles of shoreline, this man-made lake is ideal for fishing, camping, or picnicking.
- Eagle Vines Golf Club (9 miles)
Part golf course, part nature reserve, this challenging 18-hole course celebrates the extraordinary natural beauty of Napa Valley.
- Chardonnay Golf Club (10 miles)
Spanning across 130 acres of Chardonnay and Merlot vineyards, this three-course facility seamlessly combines challenging golf with the unique spirit and landscape of the area
- StoneTree Golf Club (26 miles)
One of the finest courses in the Bay Area, StoneTree welcomes players of all levels with superbly designed fairways and superior turf conditions.
- Wine Country Safari
This quality touring company specializes in private, by appointment tours of small wineries dedicated to producing excellent wine.
- Jake's Valley Wine Tours
Daily wine tours focusing on Historic and Family Wineries.
- Wine Destinations (1 mile)
Offers customized food and wine tours to Napa's finest vineyards and wineries.
- ESPERYA: The Wine Country Experience (1 mile)
Envision yourself in a far away place, being pampered by the best tour and event organization in the Napa/Sonoma region. A friendly, personable ESPERYA "guide" will pick you up at the hotel. Corporate event and wedding planning also offered. Contact at email@example.com or 707.255.7517.
- Balloons Above the Valley (2 miles)
Giving you one of the most "uplifting" experiences that can be had in a hot air balloon.
- Napa Valley Wine Train (5 miles)
Gourmet cuisine. First-class style. Enjoy a ride through Napa Valley aboard beautifully restored train cars, and experience Wine Country from the lap of luxury.
- Beau Wine Tours (14 miles)
Customized limousine tours through the heart of Wine Country.
- Platypus Tours
Platypus offers a full-day guided wine tour every day. This is a fun, social tour for people who are interested in tasting nice wines and learning about wine and about the Napa Valley, but who are not necessarily wine connoisseurs.
- Go California offers the most comprehensive information
- Nieman's Motorcycle Rental (15 minutes)
Explore the wine country in style on a Harley Davidson.
San Francisco and Silicon Valley
Napa is only a little over an hour or two away from San Francisco, Berkeley, and Silicon Valley, homes to world famous academic institutions (Stanford University, University of California Berkeley, University of California San Francisco, etc), industry beacons (from Silicon Valley powerhouses to thousands of Bay Area high-technology startups), cultural institutions and experiences, outstanding outdoors and nature, and a dizzying array of just about everything anyone could be interested in. More information can be found by searching the web;
here are a few starting points: